Thursday, June 29, 2017

Vermiforme- Riitualiis (2017)


Vermiforme have the nastiest Stoner/Sludge/Doom in South America. If someone wants to dispute me on this, that's cool but I'm sure I'm pretty close to being right. One thing that threw me off about this album is that it's actually a live recording. What tipped me off is when the vocalist said "gracias" and people were cheering. I don't maybe it was the intro that did it, but overall the sound quality is fucking top notch, as I'm guessing this is exactly how the dudes wanted it to sound like in a studio setting. Without listening to their older stuff but just glancing at it I can tell there's a good chunk of older tunes on here. However, if this is your first introduction to the band I think it works as a way to discover and then go back to their first two releases. The only band who I can compare their sound to is probably Conan, but I feel like they're the gold standard now as far as Doom bands go, along with Bongripper and Monolord. They're a little bit nastier than Conan and definitely have more of a Stoner vibe than they do. They just sound so filthy and disgusting it's soothes me. Plus they don't scream in English it's all Spanish, so kudos to them for not conforming to a global audience. Plus the singer has a very unique sounding voice. It's guttural, harsh, raspy, deep and most importantly menacing. It's like I'm not sure I wanna meet the dude because he'd probably scare the fuck out of me. It's also worth noting that their cover of Black Sabbath's "Solitude" (mellow as fuck) is played brutal as fuck. I wasn't so sure when I read the track listing, like are you sure you guys wanna cover that one with the way you sound? It kinda doesn't fit. However, they take the tune and destroy and crush it until it becomes their own with their own sound. Overall I really dug this, I'm definitely gonna check out their older shit and hope they make some new filthy/nasty Stoner Sludge Doom riffs in the near future. Cheers! -Samir



No comments:

Post a Comment