Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Z/28 - Nobody Rides For Free (2018)


Now here's an album that I've been waiting for! I remember a couple years ago when I first stumbled across Z/28's self-titled EP - three tracks of hard-hitting, headbanging stoner rock - and I thought to myself "These guys need a full-length album immediately". I stared at their Bandcamp page for a few hours hoping it would materialize, but it didn't, and I gave up hope. Thankfully only a few years later it's here and titled "Nobody Rides For Free" featuring plenty of the shit that made their first EP great and more! If you aren't aware, Z/28 features Jeff Hayward of Grief while sounding nothing like Grief at all, instead getting down and dirty with high octane stoner rock with more 70s inspiration than you can shake a stick at! It kicks off with a rocking rhythm as in fades a killer guitar solo that would fit in on almost any classic rock album - then gears shift and suddenly the second track slaps down some Kyuss style riffing while the back end mashes on at a heavy, steady pace. Songs only get better from there as they're hashed out with a punk-ish attitude and small doses of doom, sludge, and dirgey synths are ground in to the already wicked sound. Riffs and solos abound with plenty of driven rhythm - there really isn't a bad track on here with each one making its own twist on the formula and damn if they aren't all brilliant examples of how to play heavy fucking rock music. If you told me you liked rock 'n' roll but you didn't like this album, I'm not sure I'd believe you - just turn this one up and let it take you burning down the road! -Brandon


No comments:

Post a Comment