Friday, August 31, 2018

Toten Hex - Cemetery Avenue (2017)


I totally missed out on this one from 2017. For some reason, I feel like I knew about this Toten Hex release last year, but somehow never got the chance to listen to it, or forgot about it. I'm really regretting that after finally catching up, and this is some really good shit. "Cemetery Avenue" was most likely one of the best releases I missed out on from last year. If you enjoy that big fuzzy Doom sound with slow thunderous riffs, you will most likely dig this one. One interesting aspect to this release is that the songs are pretty fucking short, not just by doom standards, but by general song standards. However, I couldn't tell at all, and I only noticed this when I really took a closer look at the Bandcamp page. The songs really flow and blend well together. On top of that I was so drawn in to the music that it didn't matter anyway.
As far as the strings go, it seems like most of the power is coming from the guitars. If there is bass on this it's either very low in the mix or just it blends in with the guitar. However that is quite alright because that guitar tone is thick and toasty as fuck. Plus it's pretty bassy in its own right, carrying a lot of the low end. I was a fan of the vocals on this as well. Throughout each song they float somewhere between angry chant and death growl, and it really does compliment the fiery riffs. These riffs are really fucking good, and have a nice groove to them. I can't wait for whatever Toten Hex releases next. Highly Recommended! Cheers! -Samir

No comments:

Post a Comment