Thursday, April 27, 2017

Come to Grief- The Worst of Times (2017)


I've referenced Grief before on this blog. To me when it comes to sludge, the Melvins, Grief, Crowbar, Dystopia and Eyehategod are the originals for which all should be judged upon. Many have come, but these are the godfathers I look to when comparing something new. Grief has been M.I.A for a minute not playing live or releasing anything new, not until Terry Savastano (an original founding member of Grief) decided to form Come to Grief, named after the Grief album. What follows is a crushing return to form. Extreme sludge metal the way it's supposed to be played. Moving at a crawl, with fat depressing riffs, and harsh vocals, it's the kind of sludge doom I want to be listening to right now. While it does seem like a throwback, and nothing is new under the sun anymore, it's got a classic sound that just can't be fucked with. Simple, threatening, and brutal "The Worst of Times" gets the job done, and keeps me satisfied until their next release. Which I read is a split with Fistula so definitely expect a review for that when it comes out. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised to discover this had been released, and you should do yourself a favor and listen to these masters putting on a clinic to show you how it's done. Cheers! -Samir 



No comments:

Post a Comment