Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Saturndust- RLC (2017)


I heard Saturndust's S/T LP back in 2015 when it first came out. I was completely blown away by it. I was like where the fuck did these dudes come from? They were just an amazing space doom band, with amazing tones, and a killer fucking album from front to back. I remember sharing their bandcamp on facebook with people saying like "you gotta hear this!". So out of nowhere it seems, I find out that after resting in their hyper sleep chambers for two years, the dudes from Saturndust have continued where they left off with "RLC". There was no hesitation on my part to listen to it. It was an immediate, "Oh fuck yeah I'm gonna stop listening or doing whatever I'm doing and I'm going to put this on right fucking now!". I'm glad to say this did not disappoint. While the band seems to have not skipped a beat, their return does come with a few surprises.  There seems to be more use of synths on this one, and I don't mean this as a complaint in the least bit. The synths add a layer to each song that seems appropriate and almost needed to capture the vast darkness of outer space dread. Definitely a lot of chill moments on this one which seems like a departure (they don't suck), but it doesn't outweigh the heavier ones which are chunky, crushing, and nasty. There's also different points throughout where the vocalist Felipe Dalam lets out death growls which I'm totally all about, and the first track "Negative-Parallel Dimensional" has a blasting grindy part which I'm also all about Doom bands doing as well. Overall, very enjoyable, and worth the wait! If you've never heard Saturndust before, check out their S/T LP as well when you're listening to this one. This is a great album with well written tunes, an amazing sound, and is most definitely one of my favorites of the year thus far! Cheers! -Samir

No comments:

Post a Comment