Friday, June 22, 2018

Welcome to Holyland - S/T (2018)


I can't think of an opening riff in recent years that got me hooked liked the one from “War” on Welcome to Holyland's S/T release. It's so simple and catchy, and also made me think, if all the great sludge riffs have probably already been written, then Welcome to Holyland may have discovered some of the last remaining ones. I'm going to be bold here and just say this is some ugly/filthy yet punishing sounding shit. The guitar tone is so fucking sick, and it's like the perfect sound for sludge doom, and the vocals fit perfectly with the special blend of nasty that the band spews forth on all four tracks.
 Plus the riffs just have a groove to it, which I think is what also makes them so catchy. I wouldn't say that all songs a groove-laden , but even the shit that drags and drones, still is captivating enough to pull you in. This is an amazing fucking debut by a band, that everyone needs to check out right now. I couldn't be more ecstatic about a new band/release. Yeah Yob just released an album, and I'm sure a lot of people were excited about that. I mean I know I was. However, I can honestly say I was more impressed by this release than that one. This is the kind of shit I started this blog for. It's those moments where you find something that just stops you in your tracks, and you just say damn, someone figured out exactly what you wanted to hear. Obviously this is one of my favorite releases of the year thus far. Highest recommendation possible for this band! Cheers! -Samir

No comments:

Post a Comment