Thursday, June 7, 2018

Cult of Flesh - Wendigo EP (2018)


Combining Elements of Blackened Sludge and Atmospheric Doom, Cult of Flesh challenges the expectations of these sub genres, creating Extreme Heavy Music that defies the norms. I guess the point I'm trying to drive home here, is that when I read the description I was expecting something a little bit colder, and a little bit more grim. However, I mean you can even take a look at this cover art and sense that it's going to be a little bit different. I will start by saying, I am pretty sure, especially after listening to it a few times, that each song on here is different sounding, so it's not quite a constant stream or relentless attack. Another thing that struck me as being a little odd was the chord progressions/musical note choices used to compose the songs. They weren't as dissonant as I would have thought or expected.
Well I guess since I've mention what this EP is not, I should probably try to explain what it is. At times it's sludgy as fuck, but on the other end of the spectrum there's an acoustic part. There's even hints of Death Doom in there with the slow double kick, but all of that is fleeting and doesn't last long, moving on to something different maybe a few bars later. It's a wide range of things, and it's a culmination of a lot of good sounding things whether they might seem pleasant and ethereal to chaotic and aggressive with everything between. I dug this because it was a change of pace for me, as far as Sludge goes, and it was catchy as fuck. Definitely recommend this. Cheers! -Samir

No comments:

Post a Comment