Friday, July 20, 2018

Hexendrone - Heavy Drugs Smashed Amps (2018)


There is plenty of great Doom, Stoner and Sludge coming out of Russia and Hexendrone is definitely not an exception. Upon first listen to the opening track of "Heavy Drugs Smashed Amps" you are bombarded with feedback thick like a cloud of smoke presumably from said smashed amps, and that's the only warning before the band hits that first chord. After that you are exposed to an ungodly sound and tone. One that mixes copius amounts if fuzz and distortion with ultra detuned stringed instruments. It's something that conjures the images in my mind of barbaric caveman death matches, fighting each other with the teeth, claws and bones of predators, hunted for survival.
Then we are treated to the riffs (I'm not even done describing the first track let alone the rest of the album, but you get the idea). They seem to break up the chaos and give order and structure with monsterous and gargantuan presence. They're catchy as fuck as well. It's a suffocating mix of bludgeoning guitar/bass, irritated vocals, and slow yet violent drumming that is exactly what I need in my life right now music wise. It's simple and primative with it's agressive, and makes me want to band my head and pound my fists in approval. Comparisons to Conan would be easy to make, and while they do sound similar, Hexendrone are a different breed of Barbarians who seem hell-bent on forging their own steel, and quenching its thirst with the blood of both man and beast. I really dug this album and it's definitely a contender for my end of the year best of list. Highly recommend! Cheers! -Samir
 

No comments:

Post a Comment