Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Cavalcade- Lake Side Effect


I guess I should start out by saying I really liked this album a lot before I get into the preamble. Cavalcade play a sort of Stoner/Sludge Rock at their core (detuned, slow paced, kinda space, etc), but there's a lot more going on here. First off one thing you'll notice about their sound, is that they have a singer that pretty much sounds like he's a transplant from a black metal band, with his raspy harsh shrieks, that go beyond what is considered the norm for Sludge Rock/Metal. Then the rest of the band itself seems less interested with the the whole stoner/sludge thing and are more interested in playing post punk/post rock musings. Then there's all this ambient noise and samples that are added in. At certain points this even treads on shoegaze. Now let's be clear when I write shoegaze, I actually mean shoegaze and not doom gaze or blackgaze or whatever My Bloody Valentine infused sub genre you want to come up with. Actual fucking shoegaze. So these guys are a fucking engima when it comes to pegging down their sound, as they are pretty fucking unique and evade any sort of catorgorization. Experimental Sludge/Avant Garde Metal is about as close as you're going to get. The one thing I want people to walk away with though after everything I just wrote is that Calvacade rules and "Lake Side Effect" is a great album. Cheers! -Samir


No comments:

Post a Comment