Friday, August 4, 2017

Poseidon- Prologue (2017)


Jesus Fucking Christ, Poseidon is heavy as fuck!  This is the sort of sludge based doom I need in my life. This is probably what Mastodon wanted to sound like when they first started. With a name like Poseidon you do expect something that's big and grand, if not oceanic in size, and these guys deliver for sure. Their sound is definitely full, with thick heavy handed detuned guitars, and bass grooves that cause tectonic shifts. There are of course some chill moments on here. "Mother Mary Son of Scorn" is one long example of this. You get a different dynamic from band, w/ clean vocals and acoustic guitar. The music itself is still melancholic, but it's a change of pace. The band charges forward with the might of a killer whale on "Chainbreaker", returning to the merciless sludge doom introduced at the beginning. The mix on prologue is fucking top notch. I feel like I can hear everything as clear as it should be. But that fucking bass sound though. It's got the right blend of distortion and is just perfect. It's got the right amount of heaviness and weight to it as well. I should probably mention after all of that bass worship I just wrote, that I thought the singer had a good range. Both his singing and screaming were excellent, and it was a good fit with the music. Overall, I'm very impressed with this band, and if this is indeed a prologue of what's to come, then I can't wait to hear the rest of the chapters from Poseidon. Cheers! -Samir


No comments:

Post a Comment